Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 31 - 40 Days of Focus: Evangelism

East Sac Home Makeover

The Home Makeover Project is one of my favorite example of sharing the gospel in a language people in our community understand. People who live in East Sacramento are often closed to hearing about Jesus Christ. Most have already heard many things from people who claim to be Christians and feel like they have either rejected Christianity on solid grounds or have accepted Christianity. The people in our community are fairly well travelled and educated. They have material comfort and tend to resist changing views on religion. Most understand Christianity to be a religion based on good works and they feel God will count them in the “good” category. If there is a God, they feel sure He would accept them on their own merits.

The East Sac Project gives us an opportunity to share the gospel in the context of taking what is broken and making it new. We ask for nothing in return and give everything for free. It’s a beautiful modern day example of the gospel that speaks to our community in a language they understand. People in our community highly value taking something old and broken and restoring it. They pay good money for this to be done on their houses and cars. What does the East Sac Project communicate to you? Are there other ways we can communicate unconditional love to our community that speaks the truth of the gospel in a language they understand?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I have the attitude that people may not want to hear what I have to say about Jesus. I am ashamed to admit that I refrain often from sharing because of that attitude. In the past, in my eagerness to tell my story I have carelessly, prayerlessly tried to do so. I am learning that I need to pray for those I want to tell. Walking in the Spirit is a mystery that I will never understand, but I believe that He motivates me to share when I have spent time caring enough to pray. Now I think that if people don't want to hear about Jesus, it's because they don't know Him yet! Nancy Brow

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home